The interaction between every leader and follower is a relationship, and all relationships either add to or subtract from a person’s life. The bottom line in leadership isn’t how far we advance ourselves but how far we advance others. That is achieved by serving others and adding value to their lives.
The Law of Addition asks one simple question: Are you making things better for the people who follow you? That’s it. We add value to others when we:
• Truly value others
• Make ourselves more valuable to others
• Know and relate to what others value
• Do things that God values
Adding value to others through service doesn’t just benefit the people being served. It allows the leaders to experience:
• Fulfillment in leading others
• Leadership with the right motives
• The ability to perform significant acts as leaders
• The development of a leadership team
• An attitude of service on a team
—The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership – John Maxwell
ARE YOU MAKING THINGS BETTER FOR THE PEOPLE WHO FOLLOW YOU?